Thursday, September 10, 2009

Coming up - Event #21...Nation's Tri in Washington DC - Sunday September 13

With an "out of town" tri coming up...I am a bit extra anxious. The out of town aspect just makes it that much more interesting. Pack the bag extra early - and carefully - as I will not have all my home base supplies close at hand...check, recheck and recheck again the bike - clean the chain, check the brakes....must remember my tire pump...

Nations will be my first Olympic distance this year - so that means, a 1 mile (1.5 kilometer) swim, a 25 mile (40 kilometer) bike and 6.2 mile (10 kilometer) run...in reality it is a training race for the SC Half in a few weeks....which will be the second longest event (in distance) to date...

But not looking past this weekend, I get to swim in the Potomac River with 2399 other triathletes, ride up and around Reedy Creek Park, and run amidst some of the nations most memorable, iconic landmarks in and around downtown DC. This is a TnT event....so lots of TnT folks will be there - quite possibly the majority of the field - and lots of great TnT support...as always!

Weekend will be busy, busy, busy....when I get to DC I get to meet the Karhu Rep and chat about the products so far. Go through a MANDATORY pre-race briefing...these are usually optional - one wonders why it is mandatory? catch up with the Team - and then catch up with some friends from ATL who I haven't seen in a long time...

Saturday - another fun filled - jam packed day....we have to rack our bikes in transition Saturday and leave them there overnight - due to parking and traffic logistics - and then we get to have a swim practice - so not just one swim in the Potomac - but TWO!!!

When we lived in DC, I recall a significant amount of detritus floating in that river...some of it sizable - like whole trees - especially after heavy rains - so that should add a new dimension to the swim....

then off to the inspiration dinner, then set up the rest of my gear and triple check the bag and try and get some sleep before the 3:30 AM wake up. The race kicks off at 7 AM...I start swimming (or flailing in the water) between 7:18 and 7:24....based on the age group waves.

It is supposed to be a beautiful day for a race - or some sightseeing in and around DC...which once I get out of the water - it will be - sort of.

The recent bike fitting has done wonders to increase my wattage or cranking power and has helped ease the mild discomfort I was feeling in my knee. Thanks again TrySports! The swims with and without the Team have helped get me properly prepared - or so I think...and my own versions of training - have - well - kept me focused on the event at hand.

So - big weekend - with lots of stuff to do....and some sleep to go get...for now.

Go Team - will try and update as soon as possible on Sunday - or in the interim if anything of interest occurs....

No comments: