Saturday, March 20, 2010

#32 Shamrock 4 Miler, Saturday March 20 - in the books

Whew - very relieved to have done the race and had a blast doing it. Large field (about 1000 runners) but very well run event.

Heading into the race, I was feeling a great deal of trepidation. Training of any sort over the past few months has been less than optimal. Training of late has been slow and difficult. Not a ton of enjoyment - but I hadn't been able to determine exactly what was going on with me....after a disappointing race in January (the trail run) and two non-races in February...the fire in the belly was weak. I'll be honest - self doubt crept in this morning when the alarm went off at 5:30.

They sent us off with some Dropkick Murphy's (click their name for the song) which was only appropriate for a "Shamrock" race. Great tune and I took it as a good omen. Along the way - between snippets of songs from folks over volumized iPods - there were moms and dads encouraging their sons and daughters - with pace advice - mentioning expected finish times, 40 minutes, 50 minutes...whatever - not pushing - encouraging them... It was great. Reassuring. And it energized me about running again.

As we continued on the course, the reason for the 40 in 40 really came back to me - not racing for this long - and with a bit of a crazy work schedule, while I hadn't truly forgotten why - it had dimmed a bit....part of what weakened the fire in my belly I suppose. But today - as we were running - it came back...and so did I.

Everything kind of clicked - the Karhus were light and bouncy - almost like they were brand new (maybe because I haven't been running that much) - the Craft gear - kept me the right temperature - it was a B-E-A-U tiful day for a run...the fire came back - and I thought about all the folks I am doing the 40 in 40 for...not for me - for the patients, survivors, families and those who have fought the battle and lost.

With 8 more races to go - we have $15K left to raise - and a little over two months to do it. We'll get there and the renewed energy and focus - a good race can do that - will make it happen.

30:08

Go Team!

No comments: